Biomed Career FAQ

Question: What kind of education do I need?

Answer: Typically a technical school or junior college electronics program will get you started. Many of these programs specialize in biomed training. All branches of the armed forces also offer biomed training.

Question: Is a degree required?

Answer: Not necessarily, but at least an associates degree or equivalent military or technical school training is preferred. BS and postgraduate degrees are also available.

Question: Are certification programs available?

Answer: The Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI) has a Certification program for all aspects; from Radiological, Labortory, to Biomedical. See AAMI Web Site for more detail.

The Electronics Technicians Association International (ETA-I) has a Certification program for Biomedical and Imaging. See ETA-I Web Site for more detail.

Question: Where can I find a school?

Answer: META has a good list of technicial schools across the country that offer associates degrees. The Uniformed Armed Services all have schools for Biomedical Training. See your Local Recriuter for more details.

Question: Who hires biomeds?

Answer: Biomeds find jobs from three primary sources. 1. Working directly for a hospital also called “in-house”. 2. Working for an OEM (Equipment Manufacturer) 3. Working for an ISO (Independant Service Organization).

Question: How do I know if the Biomed field will make a good career?

Answer: The Biomed field is ranked in the top 5 best careers. Recently, US News & World Report ranked Biomedical Equipment Technician as one of the Best Careers of 2009.